Sunday, June 19, 2011

Poetry Jam - Chilling with Rush

Because of an unexpected little surgical procedure (little to everyone but me), I missed the photo shootout and thought I was going to miss the Poetry Jam but this morning I got to thinking about chilling, relaxing, laying out -- the theme for Monday and poem came slopping out.  Surprisingly, it was another political one.  

I have to protest that I have never written much political poetry.  I don't even like political poetry.  So I'm not sure what is happening.  

I should also make a little statement about my politics because the last political poem I wrote someone commented that they weren't sure what to say because they didn't really know my political persuasion. Although this seems like a mean-hearted attack on Rush Limbaugh and, hence, liberal, left wing Democratic...I'm really neither Republican or Democrat.  More than anything, I'm kind of anti-politics in general.  I just really dislike the self-righteous diatribes that come from both sides.   My own sense of truth is that it is too complex and contains too many shades of gray for anyone to claim to know it.  I enjoy exploring many sides of any issue and just get angrily depressed when simplistic preachiness and truthiness pours at me from podiums and pulpits. 

So I guess I'm taking it out on Rush Limbaugh even though I find him interesting sometimes.  He just irritates me with his attitude of  -- The truth is simple.  I know it and, unless you agree with me, you don't.  

Chilling with Rush

Hot summer day so I'm taking my leave
Sitting on the porch with my eyes closed tight
radio talk show make me feel all right
telling me things I already believe.

Lounging in the chair, seeking relaxation,
remembering words of wisdom from dad:
"You can't really rest unless you're really mad."
So I think about terrorists and too much taxation.

Let's all do the Limbaugh chill, Limbaugh chill
drinking from the trough of the Limbaugh chill,
He's always been right and he always will,
Doing the limbo with the Limbaugh chill.

(How low can you go?)

I may be fat, it's the American way
but I'm happy as a clam with my shell shut tight
secure in the knowledge that might makes right,
and the talk show hosts are going to show us the way.

Freedom of speech and the right to bear arms
and if someone says different, we'll sue them for libel,
take them to court and quote from the Bible,
we can't let those who preach love do harm.

Let's all do the Limbaugh chill, Limbaugh chill
drinking from the trough of the Limbaugh chill,
He's always been right and he always will,
Doing the limbo with the Limbaugh chill.

(How low can you go?)

How can people with doubts fall asleep without panic?
I never doubt myself so can fall asleep at noon,
knowing how the government planned that fake trip to the moon.
But I refuse to take siestas 'cause the word is in Hispanic.
I'm mad enough now for my afternoon nap.
It's getting really hot but I don't give a damn
'cause I know global warming is left wing sham
a conspiracy set to give business a bad rap.









 





10 comments:

  1. Again...STANDING UP applauding. I can hear this as music (even slapped my thigh to the Limbaugh limbo. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some real gems in this, in fact the whole thing shines! And it made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha. this was a delight to read...it does have a good beat, enjoyed the refrain. personally have a hard time swallowing limbaugh but...makes for a great political poem...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No idea who Limbaugh is but I know the type all right! Admirable construction, masterly rhythm and rhyme, as always, a sheer delight from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you joined us, Mark! A whole new you is emerging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi is right (left?) ... I'm applauding and I'm screaming for an encore!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand your bafflement at your political uprisings. Sometimes I surprise myself with such opinions. This might be my motivation as well: "I enjoy exploring many sides of any issue and just get angrily depressed when simplistic preachiness and truthiness pours at me from podiums and pulpits."

    Your poem is a rollicking breath of fresh air in its own strange way. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is just great! I agree that the notion that we're ever 100% right is a bit much to swallow. My favorite part is this: we can't let those who preach love do harm. It just boggles my mind sometimes at how WWJD is interpreted by some folks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! It's time for a beer and a hammock now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting. I have been thinking of trying my hand at poetry, but fortunately for me and my readers, I keep getting distracted by other things. I did listen to an interesting discussion on how by listening to only what we agree with we become more radical in that direction. Being a liberal (which is not necessarily a Democrat) I guess I should listen to more "fair and balanced" news.

    ReplyDelete