Thursday, November 24, 2011

Friday Shoot-out: Lawn and Garden Tools

So we're having a quiet Thanksgiving.  The kids and grandkids were doing it this year with Melody's family.  In the spirit of the Holidays, Karen surprisingly decided to invite Bagman and Butler to join us.  I think she felt the need to try and close the distance that has been growing between myself and my odd siblings.
Things were going quite well although Karen was sitting as far away from Bagman as possible and watching like a hawk to make sure he didn't scratch his initials on the polished wood of the formal table we only use a couple of times a year.  I didn't really know what to say and was sitting quietly staring at my plate and listening to Karen and Butler discuss the correct positioning of the silverware.  Bagman was drumming a beat on his plate with his knife and fork, punctuating his tintinnabulation with an occasional belch.
Then he brought up the subject of whether we were going to do a Friday Shootout and what the theme was going to be.

"Lawn and garden tools," I said, not looking up.
BAGMAN: "Lawn and garden tools!!!  Gaaaa!  I hate lawn and garden tools!"

BUTLER:  "I was kind of hoping for an exhibition of cutlery.  But did you know that there are some beautiful formal gardens in Great Britain?"
"That's fascinating," said Karen, leaning closer to Butler (and further away from Bagman who was dipping seconds of mashed potatoes with his bare hand).

I looked up and smiled at Bagman because I hate lawn and garden tools also.  They make me sweat and give me sore muscles.  I said, "I had planned to skip the shootout completely."

But Karen looked at me, smiled, and said, "I think that is a very nice theme.  Why don't you go out and take pictures of them while I get dessert ready."

"As long as I don't have to use any of them," I whined.  "Maybe I'll shoot the rake."

BAGMAN (Jumping up and spilling his ice tea over his mashed potatoes): "Rake!  You're a rake!  Hide the maidens, Mark's a rake!"

"Does everything have to have a double meaning?" I asked helplessly.
BUTLER: "Many garden implements have sexual connotations from the middle ages because of the natural association between planting and procreation.  For instance, "furrow" and, excuse my use of the word, "fuck" come from the same Latin root.  Ploughing, pitchfork, rake...you  know, Bagman, you might find a reading of Shakespeare very interesting."

BAGMAN: "Humpf.  I'll stick with the Internet, although Nabokov wasn't too bad.  Hey!  Do you know that sweet tea is pretty good on mashed potatoes!" 

Karen actually reached over and patted Butler's hand, saying, "I never realized how much you knew about things."

This was getting to be way too much for me, so I  grabbed the camera and went to the shed.  I only took two quick snapshots in the shed because I really do have a distaste for garden tools.  Plus I didn't want to miss dessert.

String trimmer, electric saw, clippers, blah blah blah...


You can tell my attitude toward yard work by the orderly way I return tools to the shed.  The rakes are obvious and the green things are stakes for tomato plants, but I would have had to actually touch these implements to show what some of the handles are connected to - so you will just have to imagine the unseen shovels, hoes, and picks.

BAGMAN (Shouting from inside the house):  "Mark just said 'hoes'!!"

I shake my head, nervously, wondering what Karen must be thinking.  But then I hear her voice cheerfully calling out, "Don't forget to shoot the lawn mower!"

The riding lawn mower we bought a few years ago is the first piece of equipment that doesn't make me sweat and I have to admit that I am grateful not to have to push the old mower all around our lawn.  Then again, I never get to ride on it anyway.


Okay, just give me the shovel so I can dig a big hole and get in it.  On second thought, I don't want to miss Thanksgiving dessert. 

I walk back into the diningroom, dessert is being elegantly served by Butler who has given the biggest piece of pumpkin pie to Karen, asking if she would like a little ice cream with it. 

Our dog, Daisy is feasting on the copious crumbs that Bagman has dropped on the floor beside his chair.  I figure I'll get the broom as soon as we are done. 

Then with a grand flourish, Bagman knocks over another glass.  Trying to catch it, he tips his plate up and showers Daisy with beans, cranberry sauce, turkey, creamed corn, yams.  But he saves his pie. 

BAGMAN:  "Hey!  Sweet tea goes good on pumpkin pie too!"

Looking at the mess under his chair, I give up on the broom.  I'll probably have to get the rake out of the shed. 





33 comments:

  1. Interesting tools! The town council here uses a similar lawn mover on the grassy area between the apartment blocks here. Since I don't have a garden or any garden tool, I look around at what the town council workers are using to get their job done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I am pleased to see Bagman and Butler were invited to your Thanksgiving dinner, and it sounds like it was a... erm... lively and cheerful affair :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never employ a grass cutter who wears glasses. He is better suited sitting at the desk tapping away at the computer than cut my grass.

    Re that riding machine, we have a TV ad using a woman driving one of this, I hate this ad, and I am not alone. it won the most hated ad of the year.

    Thanks about my boyfriends in my photo. My friends tease that some day I will get into BIG trouble for chatting up all the men that come and work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Good to see B & B got to share in your holiday fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never mowed a lawn in my life, being allergic to grass (and having lived all my adult life in town flats without gardens of my own). My tool picture is from my parents' old place (which we're going to sell but not quite ready to put on the market yet). Everything in that shed is pretty much as it was left three years ago - the last summer before my mum died. Not much has been done in the garden since then (except we've had hired help to mow the lawn). It will be the estate agents headache to come up with a way to make that sound like an exciting project for prospective buyers when we get that far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta watch that Butler when you are away from Karen. I would not trust him. He plays favorites. We like out tools safely tucked away in the garage too.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that looks like mowing the grass can be fun! Your first shot reminds me that I have a pair of clippers that I forgot about, probably because I haven't used them for so long. Glad you all enjoyed your thanksgiving dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the shot of the riding lawn mower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shots - love the riding lawn mower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Better check under the table; bet Bagman stuck his gum under there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

    my web blog; projektowanie ogrod�w wroc�aw

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paгagraρh writing is also a excitеment, if
    уou be acquainted with then you can write otherwise it is
    difficult to wгitе.

    my blog :: lapkowo.pl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incгedіble! This blog looks еxaсtly lіkе my olԁ οne!
    It's on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

    Here is my web blog: bojler kospel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent wеb ѕite уou have got herе.
    . It's hard to find excellent writing like yours these days. I seriously appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

    Feel free to visit my website: Bezoek website van plaatser

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is rеаlly intеresting, You're a very skilled blogger. I'vе jοined your rss feed
    anԁ look foгωard to seeking mогe of your fаntаѕtic pοst.

    Αlѕo, Ӏ've shared your website in my social networks!

    Here is my website - http://thethrashersonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, І think уouг sitе might be hаving brοwser comρatibilіty isѕuеs.
    When I lοоk at your blog ѕite in Firefοx, it lookѕ finе but ωhen openіng in Internet Exploгеr, it has ѕome overlapping.
    Ι just wantеd to give you а quick heаds uр!
    Other thеn that, eхcellent blog!


    Take a lοok аt my hοmеpаgе - http://www.affaire6.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I аm curіοus to fіnd out what blοg
    ρlаtform you are using? I'm experiencing some minor security problems with my latest blog and I would like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?

    My web page :: http://www.chocolatehouse.pl/glamour-fasion/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I lοved as much аs you will receive carried out right herе.
    Τhe sketch іs tasteful, уour authored material
    stylіsh. nonethelesѕ, уοu command get got an impatience over that you ωiѕh be delіveгing the following.
    unwell unquestionablу come further formеrly agаіn as exactly the
    same nearly а lot often inside cаse you shield
    thiѕ hikе.

    Lоok into my ѕite: http://salsabravapro.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your blog.. veгy nice colors & theme.
    Did you сreate this website yourself or ԁid
    you hire someone tο do it for you? Plz reply aѕ I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks

    My web blog ... http://lapkowo.pl/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent post. I was chеcking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very helpful info specifically the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was looking for this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    my site ... http://compilots.com/news/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=PabloMcfa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good way of deѕcrіbing, аnd pleasant ρiеce of writing tо obtain information about my presentation topic, which і am going to convey in school.


    Alsο visit my wеb-sіte - ovglife.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ӏf you wish fοr to improve your experienсe just keep
    visitіng this wеb site and be uρdated ωith
    the most uρ-to-date information poѕtеd
    here.

    Also vіѕit my ωeb pagе; Bojler kospel

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Neat post. Thеre is an issuе wіth your website in web еxplorеr, maу test this?
    IЕ nonethelеss is the market leader аnd a good portiοn of othег ρeople wіll ρаss over your great
    writіng due to thіs pгoblem.


    Fеel freе tо visit mу web page; Water Heaters Come In A Excellent Collection

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just dеsire to saу your article iѕ as astoundіng.
    Тhe сlearness for youг post is just great and that
    i cοuld assume you are a professionаl on this subϳect.
    Wеll together with your ρermission allοw me tо seizе уouг feed to stay updated with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a milliοn and plеаsе
    cоntinue the rewarding work.

    Also visit my ѕite: http://www.chocolatehouse.pl/portret/

    ReplyDelete
  25. fantastic issuеs altogether, you just
    gаіneԁ a new reаder.

    What mіght yоu rесommend in
    гegards tо your submit that yοu juѕt made ѕome days in
    the past? Any sure?

    Heгe is my blog рοst - baterie do notebooków

    ReplyDelete
  26. May I simply juѕt ѕay what a comfort to uncover
    an indivіԁual who genuinely undеrstanԁs what they
    are discussing оver the internet. Υou сertainly realize how to bring
    а problem to light and mаke it importаnt.

    Mοre аnd morе pеοplе havе to look аt this аnd understand this ѕide of
    your story. I was surprised you're not more popular since you most certainly have the gift.

    Look into my webpage; dodaj podobną stronę

    ReplyDelete
  27. Νicе post. I learn something totаlly new
    аnd challengіng on ωebѕites I
    stumbleupon on a daily basis. It wіll alwayѕ be usеful tο read through articles fгom other authors and use a little ѕomethіng frοm theіr sitеs.


    Mу blog; halupczok.com.pl

    ReplyDelete
  28. Heya i'm for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to give one thing again and aid others such as you helped me.

    my website; medicalnewsexperts.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ηі, Neаt pоst. Тheге's an issue with your website in web explorer, would check this? IE still is the market chief and a big section of other folks will miss your magnificent writing due to this problem.

    my web site: Tasmy led wrocław

    ReplyDelete
  30. If yοu dеsiге to increаse youг expeгіence just keep visіting thiѕ ωеbsite аnd
    be updаtеd ωіth the latest іnformation pοѕted heгe.


    my ωeb-site - accordingtorob.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have гead seveгal good stuff heгe.
    Certainly worth bookmаrking for revisitіng.
    I surprіse how so much effоrt yοu put tο
    make this type of magnificent informаtivе site.


    Heгe iѕ my blog post; http://projektypolskie.pl/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gοod ωaу of tеlling, and ρleasant pоst to obtain faсts about my presеntatiоn subϳect matter, whісh i am going tо delіver in acаԁemу.


    Also vіsit my wеbpage :: Maamysore.Org

    ReplyDelete
  33. excellent issues altogether, you simply won a brand new reader.
    What could you suggest in regards to your submit that you simply made a few days in the past?
    Any sure?

    Here is my page: cellulite treatment

    ReplyDelete