Saturday, September 18, 2010

Butterly

There were several butterfly shots in Friday's Shootout and a wonderful quote from Collectin Texas Gal from R.H. Heinlein that "Butterflies are self-propelled flowers."    It reminded me of a poem I wrote a little while ago.   So this is kind of a belated addendum to my shortened offering for Friday.


Butterfly

Constantly changing direction,
a living yellow leaf with a mind of its own
albeit a small one, never made up,
always about to alight
on a leaf, on a bud, on a stem,
here, then there,
on wings too big to be subtle
she’s off again, not knowing where,
as if she can’t decide.

Perhaps having been so recently
a worm, she’s afraid to place her feet
on any solid ground again,
like a brand new angel.





4 comments:

  1. Your post reminded me of one of my favorite books. I read it every once in a while to help me get my priorities back in order. "Hope for the Flowers" by Trina Paulus.

    http://www.daleanderson.ca/hopefortheflowers.htm

    I'll bet you have read it. It seems like it would be your type of book. Bagman and Butler would have a ball with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you, the writer, have observed the butterfly flitting around, seeming indecisive, and have thought of a perfectly good reason why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this. It made my heart leap. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete