Thursday, July 22, 2010

Friday Shootout -- Feet (A Two-Part Blog)

Prior to putting this blog together, Bagman, Butler, and I stopped our usual banter and stood in a small circle for a moment of silence in memory of Barry Frasier.  At the end of that time, I rang a small bell.  He will be greatly missed around the world. 

Then, because he would probably be irritated if we stayed out of character too long, we got to work on the Friday shootout.  And when I wasn't looking, Bagman hit me on the back of the head with a wadded up piece of paper. 


On the wadded up piece of paper was a poem I had written five or six years ago that seemed appropriate for today's shootout:


On Feet


Empirical feet measure progress
with steel-toed shoes and sensible soles,
plodding and dragging heels in the center
of sidewalks, crossing at lights,
to the courthouse where they stand parallel
and exactly six inches apart, to edit
typos in prosecutorial briefs.

Faithful feet go bare, slam-dancing
on blazing coals and whirling in the smoke,
splayed or pigeon-toed, without destinations
tickling each other as courtroom doors
open around them, running on their balls
with whatever riff-raff appears.

-----------

BAGMAN:  "You're not going to use that are you?   This is a photo blog.  Although since you aren't around much any more, you might not remember that!"
BUTLER:  "Leave him alone, Baggie.  He's been busy.  Work has been frustrating and he doesn't want to sound negative about work because you never if somebody from his job might be reading it..."

BAGMAN:  "Bull Dookey!   Nobody from his stupid job is reading his stupid blog!  And you know why I know?   Because he ain't freaking writing his precious blog!!!"

BUTLER:  "Of course.  His point exactly."

Actually it wasn't my point because while they are arguing I was finding some pictures of feet...

...although they don't look exactly like feet...

BAGMAN: "At least he didn't make any kind of comment about feeling washed up..."


BUTLER:  "Although he can probably count the years until he retires on the toes of one foot."

BAGMAN:  "And then he'll just monkey around...oh yes, he does that alot at home already."

However, taking a positive spin on things...
...feet can be used to score points in the soccer game of life.


Steel-toed boots can gird you for budget battles in a tight economy

...can give you a new perspective to face each day...

PART TWO

Up until yesterday, I thought that was the end of the blog and I didn't have any snappy ending and I was missing Barry anyway and wishing I could still make him laugh.  Who knows.  Maybe he's laughing all the time now. 

But then last night, we were watching the grandchildren.  Noah is still and infant mostly eats and sleeps.  But Conner was running around and suddenly, without even knowing the theme of today's shootout, he  suddenly became obsessed with the shoes in the closet.  I didn't have much time.  I rushed up to grab the camera and started shooting.  As you will see, it is not easy to get good angles when standing in a small closet.  Or to focus.  Or to get the lighting right.

BAGMAN:  "Excuses!  Excuses!  You're just lazy and out of practice!!" 

Anyhow (from Conner's point of view):


Wow! It's a shoe store on the floor!  Just for me!
This one is kind of my style.

I wonder if they have one in a size 1/2

Maybe this one is a bit more masculine.
Gosh, my Diggy has big shoes to fill!

Okay!  I'll take this one. 

There is no caption for this last picture, only the sound of Mark quickly setting down the camera and lunging.  Because just as this picture was being snapped, Conner suddenly had a brainstorm idea, spun to the right, ran through the door to his right and threw the shoe...

...in the toilet. 







23 comments:

  1. This such a great post. Especially the ones of Connor playing with the shoes. Guess he was tired of getting his picture taken so he gave you something else to do....fish a shoe out of the toilet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOL cute!! He made you laugh and he made me laugh.
    I needed to laugh too. I really miss Barry also.
    Thank you for the laugh.
    xxmichelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sadness of losing Barry is slow to go away. But it feels good to laugh and I'm SURE he would approve of that.
    You have lots of great shoes in your closet. And I do really like that orangutan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post hon...I know Barry is smiling...I miss him too!!
    I so adore the little kiddo shots...they just love shoes...the more the better!
    Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that proves your not past it. Love the water shots and, of course, Connor in shoe heaven.
    And those wonderful steel capped boots.
    I'm sure Barry would have enjoyed that post. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great post both of them, you made me laugh

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Connor is sure growing! Cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures of the little one messing with the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew you would come up with a perfect post for Barry. Funny and sweet. Guess he doesn't like your style in shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha I always find your post funny, and I cracked more at the last photo. I just hope somebody got the shoe in the toilet or plumber will be on the way. Happy weekend!
    Friday my Town shoot out

    ReplyDelete
  11. They move fast, don't they? You have to be fast on your feet to keep up. Glad to see you here, entertaining us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear Mark, with tears in my eyes I say Barry would love it. Miss you. Sorry things are so wretched at work. Been there done that. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mark, I agree with everything Pauline said, exactly. Barry is definitely smiling and laughing all the time now. What a great writer he was and I will miss his stories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what a wonderfull post! The feet and the shoes, they definately spark an interest in our little ones, no matter what purpose they think these things are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. these boats are made for float'n - aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful post! I think that Barry IS laughing all the time now...actually, scratch that. I KNOW he is laughing all the time now. And thoroughly enjoying watching all our posts come up from the great beyond.

    Thanks for some good photos and a post that made me smile to think of our mutual friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great post!! love the shots of Conner playing with the shoes. I am sure Barry loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. when you take your feet out of the water, do they grow wrinkles?

    I don't like to go to shoe shops, the shoes that fit my wallet don't fit my feet. the ones that fir my feet don't fit my wallet,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great fun, Mark! It's a real pleasure to visit your blog, for both words and photos. Looking forward to next week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a day or two late...weekend camping...so catching up and stopping by to say what a great ShootOut you posted. Well, I think you Bagged another one, and Barry would definately be laughing like the rest of us at the closet shots and toliet ending....enjoyed it very much...Sue

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is hilarious Mark - love the look on the wee ones face as he was marching out of the closet.

    ReplyDelete