Sunday, January 24, 2010

Daisy's breathtaking rescue from the the terrible stick

It began like any other morning walk. 




I got her leash, one of those spring operated expandable leashes which give her much more room to run.  Daisy is getting a little less exciteable, nervous, hyper, crazy every day she stays with us and it won't be long before we can let her run, trusting her to come when we call. 

Once she sees that I have the leash, she is happy and enthusiastic and immediately runs to Karen.  She just comes to me if Karen is out but when Karen is in the house, Daisy does nothing without checking with Karen first.  Daisy and I are friends, but Daisy and Karen are bonded with super-glue.  Once Karen sent her back in my direction, we went out around the house where she did what she was suppose to do and then she caught distant sight of a squirrel in the neighbors yard.  

Off she went, tearing in circles while I held on to the leash like a fisherman reeling in a rainbow trout, assuming the trout had hair and looked like an opposum.   As she splashed through leaves, however, her trailing leash caught the crook of a stick, which bounced off the ground into the air.  Catching sight of it, she bounced off the ground and into the air and tripled her speed. 

And somehow, the stick -- instead of snapping -- got caught in her leash and went with her. 

Looking backward at the bouncing wooden devil, she broke the sound barrier while I took off running to see if I could grab the stick and break it free.   I no longer run like I used to.  It is more of a fast bungle. 
Nobody was looking where they were going.  Daisy was looking back at it and running away from it.  I was looking at it and trying to catch it.  But since we were all on the same line, nobody was making any progress and the bouncing, dancing stick seemed to be having all the fun. 

Since we weren't looking where we were going, we just missed one tree and went completely through one small bush before the geometric realization came to me that I had to change the distance between me and the stick by shortening the leash and I pulled back.

Daisy, of course, interpreted this to mean that I was siding with the stick and was making her stop so it could catch her.   She let out a blood curdling yelp that I swear sounded like, "Kaaaarrren!"  

But I tackled the stick which still refused to give up its ride until I broke it into sections and freed the leash.  Seeing that I was breaking the stick gave her a bit more confidence but as soon as we were inside, she immediately went to Karen and lay down at her feet, periodically shooting me evil looks. 

15 comments:

  1. see how a bit of fresh air can improve your ability to write, excellent, in fact the best thing you've writen since your grandfather's art stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an ordeal! What an amazing job you did at describing it! From what I imagined both you and Daisy are lucky that you did not trip and impale yourself on the stick. Phew. I bet Daisy told Karen what a wild walker you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed until I cried! This story was wonderfully humorous and sensitive! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle. You have captured the relationship between a dog with a female mind and man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The important thing is your saved your dog from the evil stick! Very cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see it so clearly....we have dogs and have had similar experiences, but never quite as dramatic as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! You have me laughing at the images in my mind of trying to catch somethingthat is moving away from you at the same speed that you are moving - Like George Jetson on his treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I did love that story. True all that exercise really did ramp up the brain cells. Took you to a great piece of script. I can see why Daisy runs to Karen. I think Daisy was trying to give you a test. Do you think you passed?
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you could hear me laughing you would know that I too am breaking the sound barrier.

    I just watched "The Misfits" last night, and so your tale reminded me of Clark Gable, Montgomery Clift and Eli Wallach chasing mustangs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHAHA, that was really cute. I could see you and the dog running, at odds with the stick. Thanks for the Sunday laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LMAO! Can I use the phrase "a fast bungle?" Handy words for so many situations! Carry some chopped liver in a baggy in your pocket and see if Daisy won't start to prefer you over anybody else. (cheap trick I know)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm here getting caught up on my blog reading!!! A little too much exercise for you today?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Priceless! Dogs and their sticks...what can ya say?

    peace,
    mike
    livelife365

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exciting story! If only Daisy would laugh at it some day.
    It reminds me of the time I was teasing my cat Natalie with a hair clip and accidentally clipped it onto her tail. Catching her to take it off was quite a job, and she didn't forgive me for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, oh oh!!! Poor Daisy, but how very funny. Enjoyed this, thanks.

    ReplyDelete