Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday Hometown Shootout -- Sounds

WARNING!  THIS POST CONTAINS EXPLICIT CORNY-NESS
(Both subtle cornyness and blatant cornyness)

Tough assignment, although the blind hike idea sounded great.  Butler, however, had already decided he didn't want to participate in sound photography.  And Bagman was angry at me because he had gone to great lengths to dress up like Julie Andrews in Sound of Music and I thought he was Debbie Reynolds.  So I had to go alone.  

Afterwards, sitting on my porch, bruised from head to toe from walking around in a blindfold, I looked at my backyard.  It was a beautiful sunny day.  But it was totally quiet.



But I began to concentrate less on what I saw...


...than what I heard.


Although it is winter, I heard a few birds chirping in various trees.



Then, from the house across the pond, I heard my neighbor's leaf blower.



A gust of wind came up and leaves rustled in trees and the wind chime rang.

I jumped up with excitement!  This is great!  I need to run downtown and see what Charleston sounds like!   I asked Bagman to come but he was listening to "The Sounds of Silence" on his iPod.  I gave him the thumbs up and said, "Sonny and Cher?"  

BAGMAN (Glaring back):  "Simon and Garfinkle, you idiot!"

Ignoring him, I headed downtown.


and I didn't even have to close my eyes



I'm sorry...I can't go on.  By the time I had wasted so much time going down this slapstick road, there was no turning back.  I was buried in photoshop layers and didn't know how to get out.

But as I was looking for stuff, I did find one old photo that did seem to personify a picture of sound...not city sound...just sound. 

So here it is...and I'm going back to bed.


23 comments:

  1. :) You out do even my inherited corny induced behavior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! This is a great post, Mark. I love the way those colorful sounds just jump out of the photos. Next time I'll make you do the smells of Charleston!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having just toured many other shootouts, I think I would now take a different approach, however. It is amazing to me what a talented bunch of people show up every week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just great. I really like the series of just slightly changing images till you drop the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. corny, especially when it brings outcomes like this post. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could almost hear the sound of people yawning after seeing that last photo! lol
    I would love to be in your porch, listening to the the quietness of nature .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me Mark. I need to go back and listen to this post again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry but it was so quiet that I got distracted by the photo of the yard. (You know me and the out-of-doors.) THAT is your backyard? Really? OMG I would never go inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dub you - Corny King forevermore, with Sonny and Cher always attending to your royal cornyness with their splendid version of Sounds of Silence. I am bowing .... well, I was....

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last photograph is classic of sound! Wonderful--where is and what's the story behind it? I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. Made me smile and we both had Simon and Garfunkel on the brain this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always enjoy your shoot-outs!
    Happy Friday!
    ~AM

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your corniness (surprised that word came out right). I got clogging in my head. My FSO will show you why.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool how you took the color out to focus on the sounds, then added it back in for each thing you could hear. That downtown almost became a war zone of noise. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can hear your sounds all the way up in Maryland. I can even hear you tippy-typing. And the filtering makes for a unique noise.

    The scream is really loud. I know that sound. I use is when the newspaper calls me and wants me to drop what I am doing and run out the door.

    I think, however, you should have dressed up like Julie Andrews and treated us to a little song from the Sound of Music.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. very creative and entertaining! love the last shot also. thanks for cheering me up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was GREAT! Oh, sorry for yelling, I think it a trickle down effect from viewing your last photo. You are too funny! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it. Thanks for the color in a dreary week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whaahahahahah I love your posts!! What fun you had with this..you can do corny any day..whoot!!
    Love the honk honk ..etc!! Heehee..the last one was priceless!! My flying cat loved it too!!
    Namaste, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL - good job, as usual! :) Loved that last one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well. I have to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed your post!
    Corny = good!

    ReplyDelete